Five Benefits of Scanning Your Body.
Do you have a busy day, rushing from one thing to the next?
Do others make demands of your time and attention?
Do you ‘escape’ to other worlds found in media and books?
If any of these resonate with you, chances are that you have little time for yourself! When this happens, you lose touch of with your body. You might say that you are no longer in your body. You are in your brain, or out there in another’s space, or in a land of imagination.
Your body is the temple created for your spirit to reside in. Like all places of residence, it needs to be cleaned, renewed, nourished and cared for. You need to be fully in your body to be able to nurture it and keep it in tip top condition and scanning is the skill that will help you do this.
What is scanning?
Scanning is when you pay attention to each part of your body by bringing your awareness to each part.
Take a moment to direct your attention to the inside of your right big toe.
What do you notice?
Now take your attention; your inner eye into each part of your body. What do you notice in each of these parts?
This is scanning. When you scan, you come to know each part of your body well. It is an important ingredient for becoming ‘Consciously Aware”.
Benefits of Scanning your Body.
- Scanning is a great tool for mindfulness. As you scan your body, you are engaging your brain in the process allowing your brain to be distracted from its ‘monkey chatter’.
- Through scanning, you are mindfully aware of the normal state of your body.
- Early awareness: If something changes in your body (feeling more anxious, a tight muscle) you notice it early so you can address this before it escalates and becomes a problem
- As you use scanning, you develop ‘Spiritual awareness’ – the feeling of ‘you’ inyour body.
- Scanningis helpful in the initial stages of meditation – to relax and let go – to be in your heart not your head.
|CLICK HERE to go to ‘The Building Blocks of Self-Care: what everybody needs to know’ by Betsy Mills|