Knowing Authentic Self
is the KEY
achieving your dreams.
Each of us are the total of our conditioning, cultural upbringing, experiences, relationships, potential, abilities and talents, values and physical selves and I’m sure that you will find other aspects that I haven’t mentioned! These aspects of ourselves and our lives set us up for our life’s journey and somewhere amongst them is our true self, pushed here and there, influenced in this way or that. … So how do we re-connect and re-discover our true self?
SELF AWARENESS is the beginning and the absolute core of getting to know yourself well. You will begin to find out where you are reacting and responding in ways that are authentic to your true nature. You will be able to learn to change the reactions that you don’t like to more authentic responses. You will come to know what your true values are and what interests you and alights your passion.
HOW do I get to REALLY KNOW Myself?
Well a good start is to learn to BE AWARE of myself; how I feel, how I deal with those feelings, the effect I have on others and how much I allow my brain to make decisions for me.
Here are ten tips that I’ve noticed help me to BE AWARE
- Regularly stop and do a body scan, noticing where in your body you are tense and how each part of your body feels.
- Now brains can be bossy. They think that they know what is right for you and want to keep you safe. So, notice what your brain is saying to you and question the validity of what you hear. “Does this serve me well?” Much of what the brain rabbits on about comes from conditioning (e.g. messages your parents and teachers repeated to you) and you may notice that much of what it is saying is negative, fearful and downright unhelpful! CHOOSE to transform these thoughts into positive loving conversations that will serve you well.
- Learn to ‘ground’ yourself and you will find that you will be more in tune with yourself and your actions and reactions will be more reflective of who you are.
- Take keen notice of how your body and your brain react to others and what they say and do. Decide to work out what the ‘story’ is behind your reactions.
- When you find yourself reacting negatively to what someone is doing or saying, ASK them questions about the situation. Become curious and find out all the details. You will be surprised how often our initial reactions are based on too little understanding of others.
- With self awareness you will become clearer about your values.
- With self awareness you will begin to notice your self-talk. This will tell you whether the beliefs you live by are serving you well or are due for an overhaul and to be framed in a different light.
I looked for a tree symbol of my inner self.
Meet my beautiful tree! She is straight strong and true.
She is thoroughly grounded.
Her branches tell me to reach for the sky in all directions.
Her bark is continually renewing and harbors small animals, while her branches embrace the nests of birds.