Why learning the ‘Building Blocks’ is so important.
We are all responsible for our emotions and reactions. When we are overwhelmed by emotions we can be dis-empowered by them – that is, unless we have the skills to manage them.
In both my personal experience and particularly working with clients, I see how strong emotional reactions to situations affect people’s lives. Strong emotions can not only cause acute physical and mental pain. They trigger reactions that can set in motion a complicated chain of reactions. When this happens, you are most likely not behaving in the way you want to be in this world, and not being your ‘authentic self’.
This often causes escalation as you feel dis-empowered.
When I hear the words, ‘self care’ I am aware that they mean different things to different people. I came to realise that most often ‘self care’ referred to the larger picture of creating a balanced life style. The techniques that I teach to help people manage their emotions are in fact the building blocks of self care and are indeed what everyone needs to know!
When practitioners provide their clients with this information and teach these skills, their client often is unable to remember them due to their emotional state at the time.
Who is the book suitable for?
Building blocks to Self Care: what everybody needs to know is intended to be an easy to read workbook for those who want
- to make these skills a habitual unconscious practice in their daily lives – to help them to become Emotionally Intelligent
- to have the breathing space that allows them to make a choice between reacting or responding in a way that benefits them most ~ with self empowerment and poise.
- Practitioners who want their clients to integrate these BUILDING BLOCKS into their lives will find it a useful tool to pass on to their clients.
- What is Self-Care?
- Understanding the Brain – simply, in everyday terms
- Let’s Look at the Fight, Flight or Freeze Circuit
- Understanding Habits
- Making a Commitment
- Meeting Your Heart-Mind – Your Personal Inner Coach
- Self-Care Checklist
- Self-Awareness – The Essentials
- Breathing Technique for relaxation, meditation and relief from anxiety
- Body Scan
- Monkey Chatter – Negative self-talk
- Life Balance and Physical Health
- What is your Plan? – a summary
Testimonials for Building blocks for self-care book
Betsy Mills shines through her simple but effective self-care booklet. It provides a painless way of dealing with the life challenges that crowd out what we all need to do; take care of ourselves. Using Betsy’s simple self-charting methods, we can make changes that lead to better ways of living.
Thank you, Betsy.
Wynn Te Kani
Betsy’s book is do-able, applicable, practical and wise❤ most self help books are not nearly as immediately useful😊 try her balloon breath and centre yourself again. Molly Brumm
A great book about self care. All you need to know! I love it! Stefanie Roth